Saturday, February 16, 2013

Gone Hunting.

      Went Quail hunting for the first time today. It was a new experience to say the least.


The Program I was shooting today was put together by a Tucson Dog- hunting Group. So They get all these kids (At least half of us have never shot anything alive before) together And split them up, and we all went to different stations supported by the AZ Game & Fish .

The First Station my Group went to was The Quail I.D station. There we learned the five diffrent Species of Quail That roam the great State of Arizona and the four your aloud to hunt. We learned the Different calls of the birds and how to tell the age and gender. Then The group Moved along to the GPS station, there we learned the Importance of not forgetting were to Park.

Then I Went hunting. Before I went out, one of the Dog handlers Took to Bobwhite Quail and Let them loose in the field. And the Kids and Dog handler Would go Out with Pointing dog Of some kind, And It would go out and point out the birds. and the Dog handler would Scare the Bird up and You Would Shoot It. And After a few Minutes of Walking around in a field, The Dog had found a hen, The handler scared it and I shot it.

                                                                 

So After shooting One bird, I went over the The cleaning station. Turns Out it wasnt as gory as I thought. all The  guy at the cleaning station did was cut the head and Wings off, and he took the Meat Part out, Through it in a cooler and sent it to the Lunch Area to be cooked up and eaten.

Over All it was a Neat day. I went Hunting, Got to try Quail (it taste like Chicken.) and Learned How to use a GPS. 

It was very Fun and I would recommend it to anybody who would like to get into the hunting sport.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you got to do this hunt! It sounds like you had a good time. Are you going to take your Dad javelina hunting next?

    ReplyDelete